Project Import Forum Forum Index
Project Import Forum
FAQ  FAQ   Search  Search   Memberlist  Memberlist   Usergroups  Usergroups
Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

Which Motor? « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
SoonToBeFD3S
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 8:44 am    Post subject: Which Motor? Reply with quote

So say someone was to pick up a 96 240sx SE w/ an S15 conversion but was still running a ka. Now if they wanted to do a motor swap what are the pro's and cons of going w/ an SR20 and wut are the pros and cons of going w/ a RB26. And just to throw it in there cause people can get crazy what are the pros and cons of going with a 2JZ. I would love to read some feedback on this.
The Phantom Gallon
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They also make kits now VQ motors i think. Also dont forget the Ls1. <--sick motor.

what do the peeps of PI think about the El Es Juan? Too big and heavy pushrod dinosaur? or Nice all aluminum compact V8 capable of tremendous power?

:subscribed:
Fridaytech
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing about engine swaps they are exspensive to do wright. S15 chassic is always easier to put an s14 sr or s15 sr. No custom motor mounts or drive shaft needed. wiring is not to crazy. Plus the chassic was built around these motors.

The only reason I don't like rb motors is parts. When ever we need to replace an Oem nissan rb part we run into parts are only in japan. Some sr parts swap over. But you can always bet on weeks of delays for replacement seals or gaskets or electronics.

LS1 into a s15 is fun. engine is not that heavy due to aluminum heads and block. Big numbers out of the box. Will need custom motor mount kits and drive shaft. Most electronics should wire up to cluster. easy to find parts for motor. Plus the wow factor of a big musle in a nissan.
The Phantom Gallon
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ls1 into an S15? wow, i think that would piss people off more than the Rx7. I only know of one guy doing an S15 swap, i'm not sure how he has progressed, but i know that a RHD car is way more expensive to do a V8 swap in because of specific things. Like the Clutch pedal and reservoir. You need a larger bore for the clutch slave, and in america its mounted on the firewall in parallel with the clutch pedal. in a RHD car, the clutch pedal is pretty much in line with the back of the head. so you need an expensive clutch pedal assembly.

also other things like the steering shaft get in the way. The starter is on the LHD passenger side as to make room for LHD steering shafts.

lots of little PITA factors you got to take into consideration.

Ls1 into an american S14 would be much much easier and less expensive, yet still wouldnt be cheap to be done right like you mentioned.
Fridaytech
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually I found the one and only picture that i took of that LS1 in and S14.

Jump to: